-
October 17th, 2006, 01:50 PM
#1
Inactive Member
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7139&rd=1&rd=1
This are not my listing but I am thinking of bidding on them. What do you think about condition (esp woofers)? Is this factory construction or modified in some way (note the fuses mounted in front of the woofers)? What would be a fair price?
Thanks very much.
John
-
October 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
The HF sculpted foam inserts are missing, so if you can't find any, then I recommend using some 1" fiberglass insulation and you can lightly dust them with matte black paint if it's visible through the grills.
The dings in the woofer's motor combined with the added fusing makes me wonder just how these were used/cared for. Bummer that my car isn't drivable or I'd go scope them out.
GM
-
October 17th, 2006, 05:46 PM
#3
HB Forum Owner
There is a guy who makes those foam inserts. He sells them periodically on eBay.
-
October 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
So there is: [email protected]
GM
-
October 17th, 2006, 07:03 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Paul Darst makes a great foam reproduction for the 19's. If you look closely at my avatar you may be able to see one. And, in my experience, they do make a sonic difference especially with respect to imaging.
Just my two cents. Maybe less.
-
October 17th, 2006, 07:34 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Wow. The price of these things is out of hand.
I just need a few more parts and I can build a set. Would love to have an original but 1.5K is out of my price range.
-
October 18th, 2006, 03:39 AM
#7
HB Forum Owner
Looks like the cabinets are factory - appear to be in walnut.
The fuses (a STUPID idea IMHO) are an add-on...
-
October 20th, 2006, 01:32 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Well said MR. Gonzo
well said
-
October 20th, 2006, 02:26 AM
#9
Senior Hostboard Member
I second that. Without a doubt they're a bargain in today's dollars.
-
October 20th, 2006, 03:52 AM
#10
Inactive Member
I realize that the long time members here have a better handle on the going rate for some M19's than I do, but I have to say that for $1500-2000, you are still getting a world class speaker. I've watched the prices steadily climb for the raw drivers and crossovers the past year and it's only going to get worse. The price to ship a pair any distance is really what keeps the price as low as it is because you have to plug in $4/500 to the final price to ship 'em. With Bill at GPA's continued support for driver replacement/parts, I think that they are a bargin. With some how-to tips and patience, you can bring them up to like-new condition and enjoy them for the rest of your life. I have a pair of ESS AMT-1D's that I need grilles for. I tried to contact ESS in Sacramento, CA for availability, only to find that ESS-USA was sold to a German Co. and their slightly updated ESS AMT-1E version is selling for $4,450--$3000.00 MORE than the last U.S. made "D" version! The big speakers are getting parted out because the parts are worth more than the whole and easier to get rid of. You can get 416 recone kits for about $80 a piece, the diaphragms are reasonable too. I say if you can drive to pick them up, get 'em and never look back.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.
Bookmarks